Lodging a Complaint with the U.S. Postmaster General

Hartzell
Site Admin

Lodging a Complaint with the U.S. Postmaster General

#1 Post by Hartzell »

My associates have asked me to help coordinate the lodging of a Compalint with the U.S. Postmaster General. What are the appropriate legal references under US code, CFR, etc. for what we are trying to say? This is the data we need.

Hence, I hope to hire a suitable legal researcher via fiverr.com, so that he/she could assemble the appropriate legal references for us directly.

We recently found the following on the internet --
Country Conditions for Mailing - Taiwan
http://pe.usps.com/IMM_Archive/HTML/IMM ... z_001.html

So, we are wondering, where did these regulations come from? There must be some sort of higher ranking legal code from which such regulations were formulated, drafted, or revised? What is that? What are the legal references?

For example, if I am in the United States and send a letter addressed to a person at a particular address, with the country name indicated as "Pokemonistan" ..... that would no doubt be returned to me because the USPS was unaware of where that country was. However, the question arises: Have I violated U.S. law by addressing the envelope in such a way?

I would think not.

But for the "Republic of China" on Taiwan, there are specific legal references in the U.S. legal code which say that under U.S. law this country does not exist. That is the Taiwan Relations Act, 22 USC 3301 to 3316.

Moreover, the post-WWII peace treaty did not award Taiwan to the Republic of China. That is the San Francisco Peace Treaty, 136 U.N.T.S. 46 (entered into force Apr. 28, 1952). Moreover, the Dept. of State does not recognize the Republic of China as a state or a government. That is the official DOS viewpoint, as printed in the official publication Treaties in Force, published by the Dept. of State.

But how do these facts apply to the USPS? Ideally, we want to assemble legal evidence to say that it should be considered a violation of USPS regulations for the terminology of "Republic of China" to appear on letters, packages, etc. to or from Taiwan which are being handled by the US postal authorities.

We would probably also want to say that postage stamps of the "Republic of China" should not be allowed on mail entering the United States. Why? Because they contain the lettering of "Republic of China."

According to U.S. law, such a country does not exist.

I have researched a comprehensive webpage of data for reference, in order to bring any interested legal researcher "up to speed" -- http://www.twinfopost.com/PGweblinks.htm